Home Forums Deep Time Journey Forum Is the universe a "living system"? Reply To: Is the universe a "living system"?

Ursula Goodenough
Participant

Ed wrote: Interestingly, there is now a raging debate in science about whether there is some sort of active intelligence behind what was hitherto through to be purely random processes behind the origin of the universe, the origin of life and perhaps evolutionary processes as well. If there is some sort of intelligence inherent in the universe, the quantum informational domain would be the first place that I would look for it. Where else would you look? Heaven? Hey, I’m a scientific thinker… resorting to supernatural explanations is not an option for me.

There sure isn’t a raging debate in the scientific culture that I inhabit. The fact that there are a few persons with scientific training and degrees who are raising these questions does not qualify as a raging debate, any more than the fact that there are a few persons with scientific training and degrees who question climate change means that there’s a raging debate on that axis. It is, unfortunately, the case that media reports lift up the outliers, in both instances, because it makes for good copy. The “average reader” isn’t likely, or isn’t motivated, to grasp the details of the science, but they’ll click on something that says CONTROVERSY! 

The fact that your posited “collective intelligence” doesn’t have a throne and a beard doesn’t mean that you aren’t talking about intelligent design. The Discovery Institute people are equivalently vague on this axis.