Home Forums Deep Time Journey Forum Is the universe a "living system"? Reply To: Is the universe a "living system"?

Ed Lantz
Participant

Davidson, you raise a great point which is the core issue of any phenomenological research… that is, how do we objectively confirm what is essentially a personal subjective experience?

As you point out, the woman having the alien births could be lying/acting, or she could be deluded, or, though few of us would buy it, she could be telling the truth.  How can we know the difference?  One way to deal with the issue is to say that this is not the domain of science and the phenomena should not be studied. This seems to be your solution, correct?

Police and judges have the same challenge when interviewing eyewitness accounts of crimes. They do not have the option of throwing up their hands and saying that the truth cannot be discovered, that it belongs in another domain. Crimes are solved by accessing corroborating testimonies and other evidence. The truth often can be inferred in this way.

While we may never prove a negative (she is lying), what if thousands of people woke up with similar stories – people who had no apparent connection with one another?  Then we could say a genuine phenomena exists – in this case it would either be a phenomena of mass hallucination/delusion, or perhaps some sort of common mental phenomena transmitted through the media or (even more speculative) an anomalous informational channel, or it is a genuine alien phenomena. Regardless of the true cause, you would have to trust that the woman had a genuine experience, but call into question her INTERPRETATION of the experience.

My position is that we should investigate these things – especially now that we have more sensitive instruments for exploring the brain and quantum information phenomena. 

You would be hard pressed to sit in a circle of people and not hear a ghost story.  Polls have shown that 18% of Americans claim to have seen a ghost, and 45% of us believe in ghosts:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/10/30/18-of-americans-say-theyve-seen-a-ghost/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/02/real-ghosts-americans-poll_n_2049485.html

So, as scientists, shall we sweep this under the rug? Casually dismiss it as delusion? Call it an invalid area of scientific study because it is not repeatable? This is just one of hundreds of “flavors” of circumstantial evidence for anomalous information transfer in the brain. Reincarnation “memories” are very well researched and are quite difficult to dismiss. Out-of-body experiences including NDE’s, telepathy, precognition, “cosmic consciousness” experiences of meditators, etc. etc.  

Mass delusion?  Perhaps. But it is not a fad – people have been having these experiences for thousands of years. My working hypothesis is that the brain can access nonlocal quantum information. This one mechanism would explain all of these “mysteries” in a way that is perfectly consistent with quantum information science. And this is ultimately a testable hypothesis. There are other theories as well…

Unfortunately, researchers who make a serious study of these phenomena are ridiculed…  as scientists, we are supposed to stay away from taboo areas such as this. You’ve seen the (respectful) reactions on this forum. When I bring this up in academic circles, believe me, others are not so respectful in their critique. Taboos are social in nature and have little to do with science. I feel that inhibiting legitimate research into these fields is actually inhibiting the progress of science. 

Do you disagree?