Home Forums Deep Time Journey Forum "Big Spiral History": in search of feedback Reply To: "Big Spiral History": in search of feedback

Anonymous
Inactive

Davidson, thanks again! You wrote:

I would recommend you check out Mircea Eliade’s books, especially The Sacred and the Profane and The Myth of the Eternal Return — though he wrote nearly 20, maybe more. He was one of those nearly unbelievable scholars, who created/invented the field of what most call “comparative religion” but he called “the history of religions.” It’s a great, and profound, understanding of the kinds of needs religions are trying to meet.

have read Eliade — and enjoyed him thoroughly! (One of my undergraduate degrees was in Religious Studies, where The Sacred and the Profane was required reading.) How do you think Eliade’s ideas could come into a Big History curriculum?

I’ll admit that I’d be nervous about this (and please feel free to allay my nerves!). Or, at least I’d be nervous about bringing in an Eliade-type-approach in the early grades: we do have plans, however, to bring in deep discussions of what religion is about in the high school curriculum. (By that point, they’ll have heard about the history of Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Christianity, Islam, Daoism, Confucianism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Yoruba traditions, and various indigenous traditions… three separate times!) 

Anyone else who’s interested in spirituality, please lend your thoughts!