Home Forums Deep Time Journey Forum Big Spiral History: in search of feedback

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

<p>Hello, all! First-time poster — though I’m excited to say that I already know a number of you personally, and a few others through your work! </p><p>I’m developing a new model of K–12 social studies teaching, dubbed “Big Spiral History”. Though it’s mostly concerned with only the last three thousand years of human history (only!), it commences with an exploration of ultimate beginnings. We’re launching this curriculum at a school that a partner of mine has just opened: the Island Academy of Hilton Head, located off the coast of South Carolina. And my wife is currently teaching the curriculum to our kindergarten-age son.  </p><p>We’re starting with a handful of cultural accounts of creation (Norse, Ojibwe, Greek, Hebrew, Chinese, West African, Aboriginal, and Mayan), and then spending a week on the Big Bang account (reading Karen Fox’s <i>Older than the Stars </i>and Jennifer’s Born with a BangFrom Lava to Life, and Mammals Who Morph — hat tip to Connie Barlow and Michael Dowd for pointing me to them!)  Which is to say that right now, our school has a dozen kids (mixed ages) conducting a philosophical investigation into the power of cosmology and what constitutes good evidence for a claim. (With first through eighth graders! Teaching is fun.)</p><p>I’d love to get all of our radically honest feedback on the idea. I’ve posted about the curriculum on the blog I run (which is about our new kind of school — “Schools for Humans”, which have the goal of cultivating Renaissance people): the basic idea,  a four part series exploring its implications, and a taste of what it will look like for grade schoolers.</p><p>Some backstory: I presented this idea at the inaugural International Big History Association Conference back in 2012 (which a few of us were in attendance at!). </p><p>But what I’d really love to know is: what are your thoughts? Any suggestions for books or online resources we can use? What questions would you like me (and my friend Lee, who’s running the school) to answer? (Amassing questions would be particularly helpful right now!) Any tweaks you see? What potential difficulties do you think we’ll run into? Anyone (or any projects) you think we should connect with?</p>

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.