Differentiation or diversity is that amazing energy that brings forth an abundance of difference. From the Great Radiance of the universe 13.7 billion years ago differentiation has been at work, seamlessly creating greater and greater complexity of being. There is a great lavishness and magnanimity in creation. The expressions of life are overwhelming- species, color, shape, texture, behavior – a cacophony of being! God has chosen to communicate God’s very Self in multitudinous and diverse shapes of beauty, love, truth, and goodness, each of which manifests another facet of the Divine.
In Laudato Si, Pope Francis points out the urgency of diversity. He says, “It is not enough, however, to think of different species merely as potential ‘resources’ to be exploited, while overlooking the fact that they have value in themselves… Because of us thousands of species will no longer give glory to God by their very existence, nor convey their message to us. We have no such right.” LS#33
When I reflect on this great Cenozoic Era with its amazing diversity I am saddened by the species that are going extinct. I am saddened by the terrible hate humans have for differences among us. My heart finds hope in being more aware of diversity and celebrating it every day! My heart finds hope in people who embrace diversity as a great gift!
Please check out my website for programs that reflect on the 3 principles of the Universe encounteringearth.webs.com
- Used by people who call the work: Epic of Evolution, Story of the Universe
- Applies a deep time evolutionary perspective to: Art, Religion/Spirituality
- Learning Stages: Adult Education, Higher Education, Lifelong
- Type: Blog, Image
- Keywords: The three principles or energies of the universe
- Why I love this Resource: It is an invitation to reflect on the Principles of the Universe
- Posted By: Linda Neil,CSJ
- Date Added: December 14, 2019