Uploading a link to another website?
Website addresses are not copyrightable so you don’t need to obtain permission to link to another website from the Deep Time Journey Network Website. To link to another website, you will simply need to provide:
- Title of the Content;
- Names of all creators of the Content, if applicable;
- Date of release of the Content, if applicable;
- Website address in the meta data associated with the Content so that anyone can see the address and go directly to the website.
Uploading a quote?
The 1961 Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision of the U.S. Copyright Law cites examples of activities that courts have regarded as fair use, or times when quotes can be used without first obtaining permission: “quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or comment; quotation of short passages in a scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the author’s observations; use in a parody of some of the content of the work parodied; summary of an address or article, with brief quotations, in a news report; reproduction by a library of a portion of a work to replace part of a damaged copy; reproduction by a teacher or student of a small part of a work to illustrate a lesson; reproduction of a work in legislative or judicial proceedings or reports; incidental and fortuitous reproduction, in a newsreel or broadcast, of a work located in the scene of an event being reported.”
Uploading a media resource that has “No known copyright holders” and is in the public domain?
If after conducting a thorough search for copyright holders, you find that there are none, you may upload the Content and it will be identified on the Deep Time Journey Network Website as having “No known copyright restrictions.” “No known copyright restrictions” may mean that:
- a copyright existed at one time but was not renewed, or the copyright may have expired, or the owner may have intentionally placed the Content into the public domain; or
- the Content was never eligible for copyright protection because it was created by an employee of the United States as part of his or her official duties, or
- there are no copyright markings or other indications on the Content to indicate that it was copyrighted or otherwise restricted; or
- that you the party responsible for uploading the Content conducted a thorough search for copyright holders and found none.
These facts do not necessarily mean that the Content is in the public domain, but rather indicate that no evidence has been found to show that copyright restrictions apply.
Uploading a copyrighted resource?
You will need obtain written permission from all copyright holders to upload a copyrighted media resource. For example, if you’d like to upload a scanned article from a print magazine, or upload an emagazine article that goes to subscribers, you will need to get permission from copyright holders. Copyright holders may include authors, illustrators, publishers, film makers, and others. Generally, you should contact the publisher first to obtain permission.
To upload Content that’s copyrighted onto the Deep Time Journey Network website, you
- Title of the Content;
- Names of all creators of the Content;
- Date of release (publication) of the Content;
- Identities of all copyright holders of the Content;
- Written permission from all of the copyright holders of the Content and the date that permission was granted; and
- A description of terms and restrictions that may be applicable to the Content;
The Deep Time Journey Network can offer no guarantee or assurance that all pertinent information is provided or that the information is correct in each circumstance. As the uploader of this resource, your name will be connected with the Content and it is your responsibility to determine what permission(s) you need, if any, in order to post it on the Deep Time Journey Network Website. If you have specific questions or information about Content on the Deep Time Journey Network website, please contact the Deep Time Journey Network at [email protected]