A New View of Evolution Part 1Click for this Resource!
“A New View of Evolution” by James MacAllister, evolution geographer, UMass-Amherst discusses the New Symbiotic (Integrative) Biology, symbiosis, symbiogenetics and Gaia Theory at the Geographic Thought session of the 2014 AAG in Tampa, FL. The New Symbiotic Biology is a radical departure from the Modern Synthesis (neodarwinism) that has filled textbooks for 60 years. It’s model of life as communities nested inside other larger communities supports Gaia Theory. NOTE that if you watch Scott Gilbert’s presentation “Expanding Lynn’s View” you can skip through my presentation of that material, shorten my talk and get to the heart of my main point, which is that the New Symbiotic Biology supports a Gaian viewpoint (“Gaia is symbiosis seen from space”). This new view of evolution requires a radical shift in disciplines and in our own thinking which is often informed by the now outmoded notions of the Modern Synthesis. I periodically send out an email that deals with Margulis-related topics, such as symbiogenetics, the New Symbiotic Biology and Gaia Theory. If you are interested in receiving these emails, send me an email at [email protected] with the word “subscribe” in the subject line and I will add you to the list. You can unsubscribe by a similar email with “unsubscribe” in the subject line.
- Used by people who call the work: Big History, Gaia Theory/Science-Based Systems Thinking
- Applies a deep time evolutionary perspective to: Biology and Earth Systems Science, Ecology/Sustainability, Education
- Learning Stages: Adult Education, Higher Education, Lifelong, Secondary 9 - 12
- Type: Video
- Keywords: New Biology,Symbiosis,Symbiogenetics,Scott Gilbert,Gaia Theory,Modern Synthesis,Selfish Gene,Lynn Margulis,holobiont,symbiont,nested communities,animal individuality,AAG Tampa,Geographic Thought,James MacAllister,evolution geography,environmental evolution,co-evolution,evolutionary biology,Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey
- Why I love this Resource: The talk provides a brief deep history of the New Symbiotic Biology and Gaia Theory
- Link to Resource: Click here
- Posted By: James MacAllister
- Date Added: June 1, 2014