Chasing CoralClick for this Resource!
A 2017 Netflix documentary on “coral bleaching” or the die off of 25% of the world’s coral reefs during one year documented with time-lapse photography. Corals are a symbiosis of a colonial animal and photosynthesizing algae, zooxanthellae. Like our cities, coral reefs can only survive over a range of temperature. When the temperature of the oceans exceeds the limit, the algae and the coral animals die. A disturbing wake up call about the massive 6th extinction that is now being driven by anthropogenic global heating.
- Used by people who call the work: Gaia Theory/Science-Based Systems Thinking
- Applies a deep time evolutionary perspective to: Biology and Earth Systems Science, Ecology/Sustainability, Other (extinction)
- Learning Stages: Adult Education, Higher Education, Lifelong, Middle 6 - 8, Secondary 9 - 12
- Type: Video
- Keywords: coral bleaching, Great Barrier Reef, global warming, global heating, ocean temperatures
- Why I love this Resource: A "hair on fire" warning about the existential threat that global warming is to coral and by extension, humanity
- Link to Resource: Click here
- Posted By: James MacAllister
- Date Added: July 25, 2017