Lecture given by Prof Denis Noble from the University of Oxford on his latest book, Dance to the Tune of Life, which features some of the new understanding of evolution that has replaced the theories of evolutionary biology as espoused by the Neo-Darwinists. In the lecture, given at the Physiological Society in London before a packed audience, Noble describes how cells “harness stocasticity” within their genomes to cope with stresses from the environment. This process and other non-neo-Darwinian evolutionary processes make the 70-year old Modern Synthesis insufficient to explain how evolution in organisms and the environment occurs.
- Used by people who call the work: Gaia Theory/Science-Based Systems Thinking, Other ()
- Applies a deep time evolutionary perspective to: Agriculture, Art, Biology and Earth Systems Science, Ecology/Sustainability, Education, Government, Law, Other (physiology), Religion/Spirituality, Social Justice
- Learning Stages: Adult Education, Higher Education, Lifelong
- Type: Video
- Keywords: Dance to the Tune of Life, Denis Noble, stocasticity, Modern Synthesis, evolutionary biology, evolution
- Why I love this Resource: Prof. Noble presents a clear and concise explanation for how cells harness chance to find solutions to dealing with stress from their environments.
- Link to Resource: http://www.voicesfromoxford.org/video/dance-to-the-tune-of-life-lecture/699
- Posted By: James MacAllister
- Date Added: December 14, 2016