The Principle of Communion
Communion, community, relationship – are all synonyms for the basic reality of the Universe. Thomas Berry explains, “Relationship is the essence of existence.” Nothing can stand alone. We are bonded together. There is no separateness in the universe. We need one another. Indeed, we are constantly reaching for and crying out for one another. And not just within our own species, but for the whole family of life. Stanley Kunitz, a poet says, “The universe is a continuous web. Touch it at any point and the whole web quivers.”
In the Heart of Divine Mystery, there is only communion. When we enter into the web of life we enter fully into this communion which excludes no one, which has no boundaries. This movement of unity is daunting in a world that punishes diversity, that excludes, that insists on a terminal uniqueness which paralyzes and smothers true interiority, and which fractures communion at every opportunity. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the incessant fracturing and by the unconsciousness that refuses to see the whole.
Pope Frances is always holding out the ideal, the hope of communion. In Laudato Si, he says, Everything is related, and we human beings are united as brothers and sisters on a wonderful pilgrimage, woven together by the love God has for each of his creatures and that also unites us in fond affection with Brother Son, Sister Moon, Brother River and Mother Earth”. (LS #92)
We are called to be on this amazing pilgrimage which embraces us in relationship with all!
- Used by people who call the work: Journey of the Universe, Story of the Universe
- Applies a deep time evolutionary perspective to: Art, Religion/Spirituality
- Learning Stages: Adult Education, Higher Education, Lifelong
- Type: Blog
- Keywords: The three principles or energies of the universe, Laudato Si
- Why I love this Resource: It is an invitation to reflect on the Principles of the Universe
- Posted By: Linda Neil,CSJ
- Date Added: December 25, 2019