January 2016 Environmental Evolution newsletterClick for this Resource!
This issue deals with the origins of long history of almost all ideas, the fallacy of “arguments from authority,” the framing of ideas as “extraordinary”, Lynn Margulis’s “math of biology 1 + 1 = 1,” misappropriation of the scientific term “symbiogenesis” in John Archibald’s history of the current rethinking biology in terms of collaborating consortia, “One Plus One Equals One: Symbiosis and the Evolution of Complex Life.”
- Used by people who call the work: Big History, Gaia Theory/Science-Based Systems Thinking
- Applies a deep time evolutionary perspective to: Biology and Earth Systems Science, Other (history and philosophy of science)
- Learning Stages: Adult Education, Higher Education, Lifelong, Secondary 9 - 12
- Type: Document
- Keywords: math of biology, one plus one equals one, argument from authority, symbiogenesis, Lynn Margulis, cytoskeleton, microbiome, holobiont, Richard Dawkins, Paul Weiss, Thomas Cavalier-Smith, Martin Rees, John Archibald
- Why I love this Resource: It takes on some very basic problems in science and the misuse of scientific terms.
- Link to Resource: Click here
- Posted By: James MacAllister
- Date Added: January 11, 2016